Saturday, January 08, 2011

Big lights Big city ughm Ya..

SO some one made a comment that I lived in a big city the other night, in midst of the conversation and me choking (pause for laughter) ya I know. I was laughin' so hard I couldn't speak. I kept trying to get out of my mouth "AND YOUR FROM WHERE? Obviously not here?" YOU THINK THIS???? MOBILE ALABAMA IS A BIG CITY?"

Now, I guess you have to keep in mind WHERE I AM FROM. I have seen some really big cities, I have seen some po dunk places.
Lets go back shall we, take a little stroll slip on your boots because it gets rough people.
I was born a poor .... ok not that far I grew up in Goshen Springs Mississippi population 5 in 1970 because well.. I was born. It was in the middle of NO WHERE. We had no wal mart no mall no gas station OH WAIT we did have Tommy's trading post but that wasn't considered in Goshen and ya if you wanted to pay double gas prices and get bait THAT was the place to go. You could get a hamburger in their little diner thing there but I wouldn't recommend it always unless she was in a good mood.)

Otherwise it was about 25 miles to "town" Something we didn't do everyday. You went to "town" to get groceries, to the dr, to the bank, to the parts store for my daddy, and usually all of the above ALL on the same day in one trip
heaven forbid you waste gas!! When we went home at Christmas we were showing Bella how far it was (time wise) from town and that there was NOTHING but trees and road from wal mart to where we had to go to Uncle Windlaes and to Grandma's) She could not believe not one store not one thing! "She said HOW did yall survive?" I also informed her we didn't have tv's in our car or DSI and get this OUR PARENTS chose what we listened to on the radio OH THE HORROR!!! SHe immediately gave me and eyeroll and went back to her DS.
NOW We live 2 minutes from everything just about. or fairly close. We are right by every convenience known to man. we can call and order a pizza, Chinese food, we can even have an ambulance in less than 5 minutes! High livin yall High livin! My dr's office is less than a few miles away everything is in close proximity. AND WE LIKE IT! BElla gets bored if we have to travel more than 10 minutes anywhere (she has my attention span I suppose)
When we first moved to Mobile the FIRST thing I did was order Pizza and I took his picture. I hugged him and told him he would soon be our really good friend. I would show you that photo but our camera got stolen out of the truck that night. WELCOME TO MOBILE! so I have none of those moving photos. I never saw that delivery guy again come to think of it even when we ordered pizza from there come to think of it.

I remember when I was pregnant and John and I lived out in Hooville (back home) as we now refer to it sometimes because it is so far away from everything I offered the pizza delivery guy a 50 to bring me a pizza noway they wouldn't do it.
I was on bed rest and starving. I begged I pleaded even offered to add his name somewhere in the babies name although melvin was a pretty name I wasnt really gonna do it but I was gonna tell him I would if he would bring me that dadgum pizzza! I know Bella is happy he didn't! That wouldn't look so good monogramed on her dresses. OH
AND IT HAD GROWN SINCE 1970 there were at least 20 people living out there then! ;)

I joke about back home but it is charming and beautiful. I love the little communities. Everyone will come running and are so tight knit. They eat for everything. Someone is born, someone dies, someone gets married.and not necessarily in that order!

Although we live in the "big city" now it still isn't much different from that. We have our little community here in our neighborhood. We eat for everything too.
We just celebrate different things.
Like when the mailman gets our mail to us before 5 wheww! WHO HAS the cream cheese with salsa and crackers?
Auburn Football DOUBLE WHEWWW! WAR EAGLE! That is always cause for a celebration here.

I still have to laugh at the big city though. I remember when we moved here I really had HUGEEE expectations. I really thought myself this was a big city. After being here and I guess becoming a naturalized citizen (I really am trying to say this with a straight face its just hard) and when you get the blood flowing through you. (yes blood transfusion makes it easier) You soon realize its not so big. It is actually very small. I thought it was huge because where I was from was so country. So little. so out in the woods. BUT, I can tell you this It is was HOME. NOW, This is Home we love it. I have never lived anywhere so beautiful. Scroll through my posts look where John took me for our anniversary. That is just a hop skip and a jump away. We have beautiful beach right here by us. The bay is right here. Its beautiful. THere is always a breeze. We have the bluest skies you have ever seen in your life. And oh my gosh every early spring when the Azaleas bloom it is the biggest EXPLOSION of color you have ever seen. SOME OF THEM ARE TALLER THAN OUR HOUSE!

I was so reluctant to move here I didnt want to come. I hated it when I first got here.I cried and cried and I have to admit there have been times I have hated it since. But I have met some of the most amazing people and made some really good friends here. Friends that have helped me through horrible diagnosis painful loss and difficult decisions. I still have life long friends back home since childhood that I love and that are my heart.
But I have to tell you it is really nice to have someone right around the corner offer to come help wrap presents when you are snot squalling, because your arm is out of socket and its Christmas and notning is going right!<3<3<3 and have friends that will be there no matter what! That help you pick up your kid from school (I don't drive anymore thanks to M.S.) It is not that I cannot drive. It is kinda like spandex. You have spandex but its probably not a good idea to wear it in public.. that is me and driving. I just figure it is probably for the best I don't. BUT I have an updated license with no restrictions. Couldn't believe they let me have it actually. Im just smart enough thank God to know I shouldn't be on the road. MS causes alot of vision issues and they mess with brain function.... ok no puns.I had 2 minor VERY MINOR accidents when I was not as ill as now bumped into my boss's truck and I bumped into johns van and that was it for me!
SO scared I would injure Bella or someone else people drive like idiots here!

We have made amazing friends here that have become more like family. We are so eternally grateful. Nothing could ever honestly convey the happiness we have or the thankfulness we have, for these people in our lives and I hope we have shown them that!

So whatever misconceptions some may have about (this meaning me) girl. one thing will always remain and thats that you may take this girl (meaning me)out of that country setting and put her anywhere, thats for sure, I WILL adapt. but, deep down I will have my Justins on and wranglers that won't change. You may can take me out of there but you won't take it out of me! I will "Reckon" till the day I die!

and wanna hear something even more funny... I think it must flow in the DNA or something'. My lil girl even sleeps in her boots at times ahhh I love that kid!

1 comment:

cinnibonbon said...

Happy New Year girl!!!!

HAhah loved your story--I've been to Mobile a few times, my MIL has a best friend there and we've gone to pay her a visit a few times!!!

I too know what its like not to be happy where on lives!!! Trust me--I hate stafford, va and even after 3 years of giving it a try--I'd move out in heartbeat!!! LOL

I hope you and your family have a blessed and wonderful eyar.